executive director position
Down Syndrome Association for Families of Nebraska (DSAF) is seeking its first Executive Director to oversee the organization’s management, growth, and operations including current and new initiatives, programs, and events.
The ideal candidate will be a highly-motivated self-starter who is comfortable as the face of the organization in public, has strong engagement skills for recruiting and retaining members and volunteers and will lead all fundraising efforts.
This position allows the benefit of a flexible work schedule in a virtual office setting from the Lincoln, Nebraska area. Weekend and evening hours are required occasionally. DSAF will support and encourage continued education regarding the topic of Down syndrome.
Job Title: Executive Director (.66 FTE – 26.5 hours per week)
Reports to: Board of Directors
Target Salary: $39,600
Duties and Responsibilities
Programming: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of DSAF’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission including educational and social events and connecting members to resources.
- Responsible for following DSAF’s strategic plan to successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of DSAF’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Serve as DSAF’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Option to attend the annual Affiliates in Action national conference
Member/Volunteer Engagement: Builds relationships with DSAF members as well as members of the community.
- Responsible for connecting with DSAF members and providing customer service as appropriate
- Ensure volunteer and membership tracking through the management of the database
- Responsible for recruiting, training and retaining volunteers from the community and DSAF members.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues (including grants, individual donor gifts, corporate sponsorship and assisting with Step Up for Downs Syndrome Walk committee)
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of DSAF, to include working with the Board to create an annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring, management and retention of competent, qualified staff, contractors and volunteers.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Create and maintain files, operating policies, procedures, and forms as requested by the board
- Properly thank, receipt and track all donors through the management of the donor database
- Ensure the enhancement of public awareness of DSAF’s presence, mission, and activities via web, social media and print pieces
Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Attend board and committee meetings including annual strategic planning retreat
- College degree or relevant experience
- Ability to network and build relationships
- History of working productively and independently
- Transparent and high integrity
- Strategic thinking
- Experience overseeing and collaborating with other people
- Experience with event planning
- Experience with project management
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Knowledge and skill with a variety of software programs, including Microsoft computer applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- History of successfully generating new income and improving financial results
- Proven fundraising experience or confidence to learn
- Experience with the following:
- Social media
- Report writing
- Nonprofit organizations
DSAF is a vibrant nonprofit (501c3) organization with a mission to provide support for individuals with Down syndrome, their families, friends, educators, and professionals who share in their lives. If you are interested in being a part of a team that provides a network and positive vision for the future for individuals with Down syndrome, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com.
Printer-friendly job description: 2020 DSAF Exec Dir Job Desc.pdf
DSAF is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with ADA, reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals will be provided upon request. DSAF of Nebraska - P.O. Box 57362 - Lincoln, NE 68505 - firstname.lastname@example.org